Marathon County, Wisconsin - Assessor's Office
The Marathon County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Marathon County, Wisconsin. You can contact the Marathon County Assessor for:
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Marathon County property tax due date
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
500 Forest StThe Marathon County Assessor's Office is located in Wausau, Wisconsin. Wausau is the county seat of Marathon County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Marathon County Courthouse, at 500 Forest Street.
Marathon County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Marathon County Information
Marathon County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Marathon County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Marathon County Tax Appraiser.
- The Marathon County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Marathon County.
- The Marathon County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Marathon County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Marathon County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Marathon County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Marathon County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 715-261-1150. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Marathon County assessor's office at 715-261-1166. Please call the assessor's office in Wausau before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Marathon County Courthouse at 715-261-1000.