Highland County, Virginia - Assessor's Office
The Highland County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Highland County, Virginia. You can contact the Highland County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Highland County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
P.O. Box 130The Highland County Assessor's Office is located in Monterey, Virginia. Monterey is the county seat of Highland County, where most local government offices are located.
Highland County Assessor Contact Information
Highland County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Highland County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Highland County Tax Appraiser.
- The Highland County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Highland County.
- The Highland County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Highland County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Highland County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Highland County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Highland County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 540-468-2142. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Monterey before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Highland County Courthouse at 540-468-2347.