Essex County, Virginia - Assessor's Office
The Essex County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Essex County, Virginia. You can contact the Essex County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Essex County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
P.O. Box 1079The Essex County Assessor's Office is located in Tappahannock, Virginia. Tappahannock is the county seat of Essex County, where most local government offices are located.
Essex County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Essex County Information
Essex County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Essex County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Essex County Tax Appraiser.
- The Essex County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Essex County.
- The Essex County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Essex County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Essex County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Essex County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Essex County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 804-443-4737. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Tappahannock before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Essex County Courthouse at 804-443-4331.