Alleghany County, Virginia - Assessor's Office
The Alleghany County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Alleghany County, Virginia. You can contact the Alleghany County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Alleghany County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
9213 Winterberry Ave. Suite CThe Alleghany County Assessor's Office is located in Covington, Virginia. Covington is the county seat of Alleghany County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Alleghany County Courthouse, at 9212 Winterberry Avenue, Suite E.
Alleghany County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Alleghany County Information
Alleghany County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Alleghany County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Alleghany County Tax Appraiser.
- The Alleghany County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Alleghany County.
- The Alleghany County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Alleghany County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Alleghany County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Alleghany County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Alleghany County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 540-863-6640. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Alleghany County assessor's office at 540-863-6644. Please call the assessor's office in Covington before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Alleghany County Courthouse at 540-863-6600.