Smith County, Texas - Assessor's Office
The Smith County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Smith County, Texas. You can contact the Smith County Assessor for:
- Checking the Smith County property tax due date
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
100 N Broadway AveThe Smith County Assessor's Office is located in Tyler, Texas. Tyler is the county seat of Smith County, where most local government offices are located.
Smith County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Smith County Information
Smith County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Smith County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Smith County Tax Appraiser.
- The Smith County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Smith County.
- The Smith County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Smith County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Smith County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Smith County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Smith County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 903-590-2920. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Smith County assessor's office at 903-590-2939. Please call the assessor's office in Tyler before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Smith County Courthouse at 903-590-2600.