Harris County, Texas - Assessor's Office
The Harris County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Harris County, Texas. You can contact the Harris County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Harris County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Your property tax bill
1001 Preston StThe Harris County Assessor's Office is located in Houston, Texas. Houston is the county seat of Harris County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Harris County Courthouse, at 1001 Preston Street.
Harris County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Harris County Information
Harris County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Harris County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Harris County Tax Appraiser.
- The Harris County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Harris County.
- The Harris County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Harris County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Harris County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Harris County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Harris County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 713-368-2000. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Houston before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Harris County Courthouse at 713-755-5000.