Walworth County, South Dakota - Assessor's Office
The Walworth County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Walworth County, South Dakota. You can contact the Walworth County Assessor for:
- Checking the Walworth County property tax due date
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
P.O. Box 199The Walworth County Assessor's Office is located in Selby, South Dakota. Selby is the county seat of Walworth County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Walworth County Courthouse, at PO Box 292.
Walworth County Assessor Contact Information
Walworth County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Walworth County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Walworth County Tax Appraiser.
- The Walworth County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Walworth County.
- The Walworth County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Walworth County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Walworth County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Walworth County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Walworth County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 605-649-7602. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Walworth County assessor's office at 605-649-7867. Please call the assessor's office in Selby before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Walworth County Courthouse at 605-649-7878.