Butte County, South Dakota - Assessor's Office
The Butte County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Butte County, South Dakota. You can contact the Butte County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
- Checking the Butte County property tax due date
- Paying your property tax
- Information on your property's tax assessment
The Butte County Assessor's Office is located in Belle Fourche, South Dakota.
Butte County Assessor Contact Information
Butte County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Butte County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Butte County Tax Appraiser.
- The Butte County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Butte County.
- The Butte County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Butte County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Butte County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Butte County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Butte County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 605-892-3950. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Butte County assessor's office at 605-892-0240. Please call the assessor's office in Belle Fourche before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting.