Charleston County, South Carolina - Assessor's Office
The Charleston County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Charleston County, South Carolina. You can contact the Charleston County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Charleston County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
101 Meeting StThe Charleston County Assessor's Office is located in Charleston, South Carolina. Charleston is the county seat of Charleston County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Charleston County Courthouse, at 101 Meeting Street, Suite 135.
Charleston County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Charleston County Information
Charleston County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Charleston County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Charleston County Tax Appraiser.
- The Charleston County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Charleston County.
- The Charleston County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Charleston County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Charleston County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Charleston County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Charleston County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 843-958-4100. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Charleston before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Charleston County Courthouse at 843-958-5000.