Johnston County, North Carolina - Assessor's Office
The Johnston County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Johnston County, North Carolina. You can contact the Johnston County Assessor for:
- Checking the Johnston County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Paying your property tax
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
PO Box 1049The Johnston County Assessor's Office is located in Smithfield, North Carolina. Smithfield is the county seat of Johnston County, where most local government offices are located.
Johnston County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Johnston County Information
Johnston County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Johnston County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Johnston County Tax Appraiser.
- The Johnston County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Johnston County.
- The Johnston County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Johnston County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Johnston County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Johnston County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Johnston County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 919-989-5130. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Johnston County assessor's office at 919-989-5413. Please call the assessor's office in Smithfield before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Johnston County Courthouse at 919-989-5100.