Cherokee County, North Carolina - Assessor's Office
The Cherokee County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Cherokee County, North Carolina. You can contact the Cherokee County Assessor for:
- Checking the Cherokee County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
75 Peachtree StThe Cherokee County Assessor's Office is located in Murphy, North Carolina. Murphy is the county seat of Cherokee County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Cherokee County Courthouse, at 75 Peachtree Street, Suite 108.
Cherokee County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Cherokee County Information
Cherokee County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Cherokee County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Cherokee County Tax Appraiser.
- The Cherokee County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Cherokee County.
- The Cherokee County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Cherokee County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Cherokee County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Cherokee County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Cherokee County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 828-837-6626. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Murphy before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Cherokee County Courthouse at 828-837-5527.