Chatham County, North Carolina - Assessor's Office
The Chatham County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Chatham County, North Carolina. You can contact the Chatham County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Your property tax bill
- Checking the Chatham County property tax due date
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Information on your property's tax assessment
PO BOX 1809The Chatham County Assessor's Office is located in Pittsboro, North Carolina. Pittsboro is the county seat of Chatham County, where most local government offices are located.
Chatham County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Chatham County Information
Chatham County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Chatham County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Chatham County Tax Appraiser.
- The Chatham County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Chatham County.
- The Chatham County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Chatham County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Chatham County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Chatham County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Chatham County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 919-542-8250. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Chatham County assessor's office at 919-542-2963. Please call the assessor's office in Pittsboro before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Chatham County Courthouse at 919-542-8200.