Rensselaer County, New York - Assessor's Office
The Rensselaer County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Rensselaer County, New York. You can contact the Rensselaer County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Rensselaer County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
1600 7Th AveThe Rensselaer County Assessor's Office is located in Troy, New York. Troy is the county seat of Rensselaer County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Rensselaer County Courthouse, at 1600 Seventh Avenue.
Rensselaer County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Rensselaer County Information
Rensselaer County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Rensselaer County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Rensselaer County Tax Appraiser.
- The Rensselaer County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Rensselaer County.
- The Rensselaer County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Rensselaer County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Rensselaer County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Rensselaer County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Rensselaer County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 518-270-2780. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Rensselaer County assessor's office at 518-270-2790. Please call the assessor's office in Troy before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Rensselaer County Courthouse at 518-270-2900.