Lewis County, New York - Assessor's Office
The Lewis County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Lewis County, New York. You can contact the Lewis County Assessor for:
- Checking the Lewis County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
7660 N State StThe Lewis County Assessor's Office is located in Lowville, New York. Lowville is the county seat of Lewis County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Lewis County Courthouse, at 7660 North State Street.
Lewis County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Lewis County Information
Lewis County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Lewis County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Lewis County Tax Appraiser.
- The Lewis County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Lewis County.
- The Lewis County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Lewis County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Lewis County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Lewis County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Lewis County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 315-376-5336. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Lewis County assessor's office at 315-376-5582. Please call the assessor's office in Lowville before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Lewis County Courthouse at 315-376-5355.