Cortland County, New York - Assessor's Office
The Cortland County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Cortland County, New York. You can contact the Cortland County Assessor for:
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Cortland County property tax due date
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
60 Central AveThe Cortland County Assessor's Office is located in Cortland, New York. Cortland is the county seat of Cortland County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Cortland County Courthouse, at 60 Central Avenue.
Cortland County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Cortland County Information
Cortland County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Cortland County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Cortland County Tax Appraiser.
- The Cortland County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Cortland County.
- The Cortland County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Cortland County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Cortland County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Cortland County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Cortland County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 607-753-5040. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Cortland County assessor's office at 607-756-3448. Please call the assessor's office in Cortland before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Cortland County Courthouse at 607-753-5052.