Fergus County, Montana - Assessor's Office
The Fergus County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Fergus County, Montana. You can contact the Fergus County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Fergus County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
712 W Main StThe Fergus County Assessor's Office is located in Lewistown, Montana. Lewistown is the county seat of Fergus County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Fergus County Courthouse, at 712 West Main Street.
Fergus County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Fergus County Information
Fergus County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Fergus County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Fergus County Tax Appraiser.
- The Fergus County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Fergus County.
- The Fergus County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Fergus County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Fergus County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Fergus County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Fergus County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 406-535-9220. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Fergus County assessor's office at 406-535-9222. Please call the assessor's office in Lewistown before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Fergus County Courthouse at 406-535-5119.