Jefferson County, Mississippi - Assessor's Office
The Jefferson County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Jefferson County, Mississippi. You can contact the Jefferson County Assessor for:
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Checking the Jefferson County property tax due date
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
PO BOX 145The Jefferson County Assessor's Office is located in Fayette, Mississippi. Fayette is the county seat of Jefferson County, where most local government offices are located.
Jefferson County Assessor Contact Information
Jefferson County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Jefferson County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Jefferson County Tax Appraiser.
- The Jefferson County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Jefferson County.
- The Jefferson County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Jefferson County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Jefferson County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Jefferson County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Jefferson County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 601-786-3781. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Fayette before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Jefferson County Courthouse at 601-786-3021.