City of Portland, Maine - Assessor's Office
The City of Portland Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in City of Portland, Maine. You can contact the City of Portland Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the City of Portland property tax due date
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Information on your property's tax assessment
142 Federal StThe City of Portland Assessor's Office is located in the Portland City Hall, Room 115 in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine. Portland is the county seat of City of Portland, where most local government offices are located.
City of Portland Assessor Contact Information
City of Portland Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the City of Portland Tax Assessor may also serve as the City of Portland Tax Appraiser.
- The City of Portland Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in City of Portland.
- The City of Portland Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The City of Portland Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in City of Portland, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting City of Portland about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the City of Portland Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 207-874-8486. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Portland before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Cumberland Superior Court at 207-871-8380.