Shelby County, Kentucky - Assessor's Office
The Shelby County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Shelby County, Kentucky. You can contact the Shelby County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Shelby County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Your property tax bill
501 Main StThe Shelby County Assessor's Office is located in Shelbyville, Kentucky. Shelbyville is the county seat of Shelby County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Shelby County Courthouse, at 501 Washington Street.
Shelby County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Shelby County Information
Shelby County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Shelby County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Shelby County Tax Appraiser.
- The Shelby County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Shelby County.
- The Shelby County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Shelby County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Shelby County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Shelby County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Shelby County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 502-633-4403. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Shelby County assessor's office at 502-633-4408. Please call the assessor's office in Shelbyville before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Shelby County Courthouse at 502-633-7623.