Des Moines County, Iowa - Assessor's Office
The Des Moines County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Des Moines County, Iowa. You can contact the Des Moines County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
- Checking the Des Moines County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
513 N Main StThe Des Moines County Assessor's Office is located in Burlington, Iowa. Burlington is the county seat of Des Moines County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Des Moines County Courthouse, at 513 North Main Street.
Des Moines County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Des Moines County Information
Des Moines County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Des Moines County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Des Moines County Tax Appraiser.
- The Des Moines County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Des Moines County.
- The Des Moines County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Des Moines County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Des Moines County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Des Moines County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Des Moines County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 319-753-8224. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Des Moines County assessor's office at 319-208-5648. Please call the assessor's office in Burlington before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Des Moines County Courthouse at 319-753-8203.