Clayton County, Iowa - Assessor's Office
The Clayton County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Clayton County, Iowa. You can contact the Clayton County Assessor for:
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Clayton County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
PO BOX 416The Clayton County Assessor's Office is located in the Clayton County Courthouse in Elkader, Iowa. Elkader is the county seat of Clayton County, where most local government offices are located.
Clayton County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Clayton County Information
Clayton County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Clayton County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Clayton County Tax Appraiser.
- The Clayton County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Clayton County.
- The Clayton County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Clayton County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Clayton County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Clayton County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Clayton County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 563-245-2533. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Clayton County assessor's office at 563-245-1823. Please call the assessor's office in Elkader before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Clayton County Courthouse at 563-245-1106.