Jay County, Indiana - Assessor's Office
The Jay County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Jay County, Indiana. You can contact the Jay County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Paying your property tax
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Jay County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
120 N Court StThe Jay County Assessor's Office is located in Portland, Indiana. Portland is the county seat of Jay County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Jay County Courthouse, at 120 North Court Street.
Jay County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Jay County Information
Jay County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Jay County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Jay County Tax Appraiser.
- The Jay County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Jay County.
- The Jay County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Jay County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Jay County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Jay County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Jay County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 260-726-4456. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Jay County assessor's office at 260-726-6964. Please call the assessor's office in Portland before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Jay County Courthouse at 260-726-7575.