Winnebago County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Winnebago County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Winnebago County, Illinois. You can contact the Winnebago County Assessor for:
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Checking the Winnebago County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
404 Elm StThe Winnebago County Assessor's Office is located in Rockford, Illinois. Rockford is the county seat of Winnebago County, where most local government offices are located.
Winnebago County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Winnebago County Information
Winnebago County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Winnebago County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Winnebago County Tax Appraiser.
- The Winnebago County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Winnebago County.
- The Winnebago County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Winnebago County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Winnebago County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Winnebago County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Winnebago County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 815-319-4460. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Winnebago County assessor's office at 815-319-4461. Please call the assessor's office in Rockford before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Winnebago County government at 815-987-2590.