Stephenson County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Stephenson County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Stephenson County, Illinois. You can contact the Stephenson County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Stephenson County property tax due date
15 N Galena AveThe Stephenson County Assessor's Office is located in Freeport, Illinois. Freeport is the county seat of Stephenson County, where most local government offices are located.
Stephenson County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Stephenson County Information
Stephenson County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Stephenson County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Stephenson County Tax Appraiser.
- The Stephenson County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Stephenson County.
- The Stephenson County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Stephenson County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Stephenson County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Stephenson County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Stephenson County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 815-235-8260. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Freeport before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Stephenson County Courthouse at 815-235-8277.