Scott County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Scott County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Scott County, Illinois. You can contact the Scott County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Checking the Scott County property tax due date
23 E Market StThe Scott County Assessor's Office is located in Winchester, Illinois. Winchester is the county seat of Scott County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Scott County Courthouse, at 35 East Market Street.
Scott County Assessor Contact Information
Scott County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Scott County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Scott County Tax Appraiser.
- The Scott County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Scott County.
- The Scott County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Scott County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Scott County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Scott County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Scott County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 217-742-5751. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Winchester before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Scott County Courthouse at 217-742-3178.