Montgomery County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Montgomery County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Montgomery County, Illinois. You can contact the Montgomery County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Montgomery County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
1 Courthouse SqThe Montgomery County Assessor's Office is located in Hillsboro, Illinois. Hillsboro is the county seat of Montgomery County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Po Box 595, at 1 Courthouse Square, 3rd Floor.
Montgomery County Assessor Contact Information
Montgomery County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Montgomery County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Montgomery County Tax Appraiser.
- The Montgomery County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Montgomery County.
- The Montgomery County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Montgomery County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Montgomery County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Montgomery County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Montgomery County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 217-532-9595. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Montgomery County assessor's office at 217-532-9599. Please call the assessor's office in Hillsboro before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Po Box 595 at 217-532-9530.