Macon County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Macon County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Macon County, Illinois. You can contact the Macon County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Checking the Macon County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
141 S Main StThe Macon County Assessor's Office is located in Decatur, Illinois. Decatur is the county seat of Macon County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Macon County Office Building, at 141 South Main Street.
Macon County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Macon County Information
Macon County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Macon County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Macon County Tax Appraiser.
- The Macon County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Macon County.
- The Macon County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Macon County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Macon County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Macon County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Macon County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 217-424-1364. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Macon County assessor's office at 217-424-1374. Please call the assessor's office in Decatur before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Macon County Office Building at 217-424-1470.