Knox County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Knox County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Knox County, Illinois. You can contact the Knox County Assessor for:
- Checking the Knox County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
200 S Cherry StThe Knox County Assessor's Office is located in Galesburg, Illinois. Galesburg is the county seat of Knox County, where most local government offices are located.
Knox County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Knox County Information
Knox County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Knox County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Knox County Tax Appraiser.
- The Knox County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Knox County.
- The Knox County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Knox County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Knox County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Knox County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Knox County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 309-345-3845. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Knox County assessor's office at 309-343-0063. Please call the assessor's office in Galesburg before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Knox County Courthouse at 309-343-3121.