Jo Daviess County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Jo Daviess County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Jo Daviess County, Illinois. You can contact the Jo Daviess County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Jo Daviess County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
330 N Bench StThe Jo Daviess County Assessor's Office is located in Galena, Illinois. Galena is the county seat of Jo Daviess County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Jo Daviess County Courthouse, at 330 North Bench Street.
Jo Daviess County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Jo Daviess County Information
Jo Daviess County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Jo Daviess County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Jo Daviess County Tax Appraiser.
- The Jo Daviess County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Jo Daviess County.
- The Jo Daviess County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Jo Daviess County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Jo Daviess County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Jo Daviess County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Jo Daviess County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 815-777-1016. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Jo Daviess County assessor's office at 815-777-9422. Please call the assessor's office in Galena before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Jo Daviess County Courthouse at 815-777-0161.