Gallatin County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Gallatin County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Gallatin County, Illinois. You can contact the Gallatin County Assessor for:
- Checking the Gallatin County property tax due date
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
484 N Lincoln Blvd WThe Gallatin County Assessor's Office is located in Shawneetown, Illinois. Shawneetown is the county seat of Gallatin County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Gallatin County Courthouse, at 484 North Lincoln Blvd..
Gallatin County Assessor Contact Information
Gallatin County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Gallatin County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Gallatin County Tax Appraiser.
- The Gallatin County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Gallatin County.
- The Gallatin County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Gallatin County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Gallatin County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Gallatin County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Gallatin County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 618-269-3791. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Shawneetown before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Gallatin County Courthouse at 618-269-3025.