Coles County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Coles County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Coles County, Illinois. You can contact the Coles County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Coles County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
651 Jackson AveThe Coles County Assessor's Office is located in Charleston, Illinois. Charleston is the county seat of Coles County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Coles County Courthouse, at 651 Jackson Avenue, Room 133.
Coles County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Coles County Information
Coles County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Coles County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Coles County Tax Appraiser.
- The Coles County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Coles County.
- The Coles County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Coles County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Coles County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Coles County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Coles County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 217-348-0508. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Coles County assessor's office at 217-348-7363. Please call the assessor's office in Charleston before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Coles County Courthouse at 217-348-0595.