Alexander County, Illinois - Assessor's Office
The Alexander County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Alexander County, Illinois. You can contact the Alexander County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Alexander County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
2000 Washington AveThe Alexander County Assessor's Office is located in Cairo, Illinois. Cairo is the county seat of Alexander County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Alexander County Courthouse, at 2000 Washington Avenue.
Alexander County Assessor Contact Information
Alexander County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Alexander County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Alexander County Tax Appraiser.
- The Alexander County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Alexander County.
- The Alexander County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Alexander County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Alexander County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Alexander County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Alexander County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 618-734-7011. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Alexander County assessor's office at 618-734-7011. Please call the assessor's office in Cairo before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Alexander County Courthouse at 618-734-7000.