Montezuma County, Colorado - Assessor's Office
The Montezuma County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Montezuma County, Colorado. You can contact the Montezuma County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Montezuma County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
109 West Main StreetThe Montezuma County Assessor's Office is located in Cortez, Colorado. Cortez is the county seat of Montezuma County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Montezuma County Courthouse, at 109 West Main Street, Room 310.
Montezuma County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Montezuma County Information
Montezuma County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Montezuma County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Montezuma County Tax Appraiser.
- The Montezuma County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Montezuma County.
- The Montezuma County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Montezuma County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Montezuma County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Montezuma County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Montezuma County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 970-565-3428. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Montezuma County assessor's office at 970-565-1247. Please call the assessor's office in Cortez before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Montezuma County Courthouse at 970-565-8317.