La Plata County, Colorado - Assessor's Office
The La Plata County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in La Plata County, Colorado. You can contact the La Plata County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the La Plata County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
1060 E 2Nd AveThe La Plata County Assessor's Office is located in Durango, Colorado. Durango is the county seat of La Plata County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the La Plata County Courthouse, at 1060 East 2nd Avenue.
La Plata County Assessor Contact Information
Additional La Plata County Information
La Plata County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the La Plata County Tax Assessor may also serve as the La Plata County Tax Appraiser.
- The La Plata County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in La Plata County.
- The La Plata County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The La Plata County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in La Plata County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting La Plata County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the La Plata County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 970-382-6221. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the La Plata County assessor's office at 970-382-6299. Please call the assessor's office in Durango before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the La Plata County Courthouse at 970-382-6219.