San Mateo County, California - Assessor's Office
The San Mateo County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in San Mateo County, California. You can contact the San Mateo County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Paying your property tax
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the San Mateo County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
400 County CenterThe San Mateo County Assessor's Office is located in Redwood City, California. Redwood City is the county seat of San Mateo County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the San Mateo County Government Center, at 555 County Center, 1st Floor.
San Mateo County Assessor Contact Information
Additional San Mateo County Information
San Mateo County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the San Mateo County Tax Assessor may also serve as the San Mateo County Tax Appraiser.
- The San Mateo County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in San Mateo County.
- The San Mateo County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The San Mateo County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in San Mateo County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting San Mateo County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the San Mateo County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 650-363-4500. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the San Mateo County assessor's office at 650-363-1903. Please call the assessor's office in Redwood City before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the San Mateo County Government Center at 650-363-4000.