Marin County, California - Assessor's Office
The Marin County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Marin County, California. You can contact the Marin County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Marin County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
3501 Civic Center DrThe Marin County Assessor's Office is located in San Rafael, California. San Rafael is the county seat of Marin County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Marin County Civic Center, at 3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 208.
Marin County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Marin County Information
Marin County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Marin County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Marin County Tax Appraiser.
- The Marin County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Marin County.
- The Marin County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Marin County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Marin County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Marin County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Marin County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 415-499-7215. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Marin County assessor's office at 415-499-6542. Please call the assessor's office in San Rafael before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Marin County Civic Center at 415-499-7331.