Sumter County, Alabama - Assessor's Office
The Sumter County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Sumter County, Alabama. You can contact the Sumter County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Sumter County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
PO Box 70The Sumter County Assessor's Office is located in the Sumter County Courthouse in Livingston, Alabama. Livingston is the county seat of Sumter County, where most local government offices are located.
Sumter County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Sumter County Information
Sumter County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Sumter County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Sumter County Tax Appraiser.
- The Sumter County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Sumter County.
- The Sumter County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Sumter County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Sumter County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Sumter County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Sumter County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 205-652-2424. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Sumter County assessor's office at 205-652-9456. Please call the assessor's office in Livingston before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Sumter County Courthouse at 205-652-2731.