Kanawha County, West Virginia - Assessor's Office
The Kanawha County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Kanawha County, West Virginia. You can contact the Kanawha County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Checking the Kanawha County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
The Kanawha County Assessor's Office is located in Charleston, West Virginia. Charleston is the county seat of Kanawha County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Kanawha County Courthouse, at 409 Virginia Street East.
Kanawha County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Kanawha County Information
Kanawha County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Kanawha County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Kanawha County Tax Appraiser.
- The Kanawha County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Kanawha County.
- The Kanawha County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Kanawha County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Kanawha County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Kanawha County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Kanawha County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 304-357-0250. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Kanawha County assessor's office at 304-357-0551. Please call the assessor's office in Charleston before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Kanawha County Courthouse at 304-357-0100.