Sussex County, Virginia - Assessor's Office
The Sussex County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Sussex County, Virginia. You can contact the Sussex County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Checking the Sussex County property tax due date
The Sussex County Assessor's Office is located in Sussex, Virginia. Sussex is the county seat of Sussex County, where most local government offices are located.
Sussex County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Sussex County Information
Sussex County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Sussex County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Sussex County Tax Appraiser.
- The Sussex County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Sussex County.
- The Sussex County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Sussex County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Sussex County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Sussex County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Sussex County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 434-246-1024. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Sussex County assessor's office at 434-246-4503. Please call the assessor's office in Sussex before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Sussex County Courthouse at 434-246-5511.