Meigs County, Tennessee - Assessor's Office
The Meigs County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Meigs County, Tennessee. You can contact the Meigs County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Your property tax bill
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Meigs County property tax due date
The Meigs County Assessor's Office is located in the Meigs County Courthouse, Room 101 in Decatur, Tennessee. Decatur is the county seat of Meigs County, where most local government offices are located.
Meigs County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Meigs County Information
Meigs County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Meigs County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Meigs County Tax Appraiser.
- The Meigs County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Meigs County.
- The Meigs County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Meigs County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Meigs County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Meigs County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Meigs County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 423-334-5231. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Decatur before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Meigs County Courthouse at 423-334-5850.