Brown County, South Dakota - Assessor's Office
The Brown County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Brown County, South Dakota. You can contact the Brown County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Brown County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
The Brown County Assessor's Office is located in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Aberdeen is the county seat of Brown County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Brown County Courthouse, at 25 Market Street.
Brown County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Brown County Information
Brown County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Brown County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Brown County Tax Appraiser.
- The Brown County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Brown County.
- The Brown County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Brown County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Brown County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Brown County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Brown County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 605-626-7105. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Brown County assessor's office at 605-626-4010. Please call the assessor's office in Aberdeen before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Brown County Courthouse at 605-626-7109.