Colleton County, South Carolina - Assessor's Office
The Colleton County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Colleton County, South Carolina. You can contact the Colleton County Assessor for:
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Your property tax bill
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Checking the Colleton County property tax due date
- Paying your property tax
The Colleton County Assessor's Office is located in the Harrelson Building, Room 307 in Walterboro, South Carolina. Walterboro is the county seat of Colleton County, where most local government offices are located.
Colleton County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Colleton County Information
Colleton County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Colleton County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Colleton County Tax Appraiser.
- The Colleton County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Colleton County.
- The Colleton County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Colleton County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Colleton County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Colleton County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Colleton County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 843-549-1213. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Colleton County assessor's office at 843-549-6185. Please call the assessor's office in Walterboro before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Colleton County Courthouse at 843-549-5791.