McDowell County, North Carolina - Assessor's Office
The McDowell County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in McDowell County, North Carolina. You can contact the McDowell County Assessor for:
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the McDowell County property tax due date
- Information on your property's tax assessment
The McDowell County Assessor's Office is located in Marion, North Carolina. Marion is the county seat of McDowell County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Mcdowell County Courthouse, at 60 East Court Street.
McDowell County Assessor Contact Information
Additional McDowell County Information
McDowell County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the McDowell County Tax Assessor may also serve as the McDowell County Tax Appraiser.
- The McDowell County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in McDowell County.
- The McDowell County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The McDowell County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in McDowell County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting McDowell County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the McDowell County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 828-652-7121. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
Please call the assessor's office in Marion before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Mcdowell County Courthouse at 828-652-7121.