Berrien County, Michigan - Assessor's Office
The Berrien County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Berrien County, Michigan. You can contact the Berrien County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Paying your property tax
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Checking the Berrien County property tax due date
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
The Berrien County Assessor's Office is located in St. Joseph, Michigan.
Berrien County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Berrien County Information
Berrien County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Berrien County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Berrien County Tax Appraiser.
- The Berrien County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Berrien County.
- The Berrien County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Berrien County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Berrien County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Berrien County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Berrien County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 269-983-7111-Ext.-8215. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Berrien County assessor's office at 269-982-8611. Please call the assessor's office in St. Joseph before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Berrien County Courthouse at 269-983-7111.