Whitley County, Indiana - Assessor's Office
The Whitley County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Whitley County, Indiana. You can contact the Whitley County Assessor for:
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Paying your property tax
- Checking the Whitley County property tax due date
- Your property tax bill
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Information on your property's tax assessment
The Whitley County Assessor's Office is located in Columbia City, Indiana. Columbia City is the county seat of Whitley County, where most local government offices are located. The assessor's office is located in the same building as the Whitley County Courthouse, at 220 West Van Buren Street, Room 202.
Whitley County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Whitley County Information
Whitley County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Whitley County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Whitley County Tax Appraiser.
- The Whitley County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Whitley County.
- The Whitley County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Whitley County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Whitley County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Whitley County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Whitley County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 260-248-3140. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Whitley County assessor's office at 260-248-3163. Please call the assessor's office in Columbia City before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting. If you have general questions, you can call the Whitley County Courthouse at 260-248-3100.