Hawaii County, Hawaii - Assessor's Office
The Hawaii County Assessor is responsible for appraising real estate and assessing a property tax on properties located in Hawaii County, Hawaii. You can contact the Hawaii County Assessor for:
- Your property tax bill
- Paying your property tax
- Reporting upgrades or improvements
- Information on your property's tax assessment
- Appealing your property tax appraisal
- Checking the Hawaii County property tax due date
The Hawaii County Assessor's Office is located in Hilo, Hawaii.
Hawaii County Assessor Contact Information
Additional Hawaii County Information
Hawaii County Assessor's Office Services
There are three major roles involved in administering property taxes - Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser, and Tax Collector. Note that in some counties, one or more of these roles may be held by the same individual or office. For example, the Hawaii County Tax Assessor may also serve as the Hawaii County Tax Appraiser.
- The Hawaii County Tax Assessor is responsible for setting property tax rates and collecting owed property tax on real estate located in Hawaii County.
- The Hawaii County Property Appraiser is responsible for determining the taxable value of each piece of real estate, which the Tax Assessor will use to determine the owed property tax.
- The Hawaii County Tax Collector is responsible for collecting property tax from property owners. They issue yearly tax bills to all property owners in Hawaii County, and work with the sheriff's office to foreclose on properties with delinquent taxes.
When contacting Hawaii County about your property taxes, make sure that you are contacting the correct office. You can call the Hawaii County Tax Assessor's Office for assistance at 808-961-8201. Remember to have your property's Tax ID Number or Parcel Number available when you call!
If you have documents to send, you can fax them to the Hawaii County assessor's office at 808--961-8415. Please call the assessor's office in Hilo before you send documents or if you need to schedule a meeting.